This step-by-step guide will show you How to Install APK on Android without using the Google Play Store in 2022.
There are thousands of Android applications that aren’t available for installation through Google’s app store.
We can “side-load” those onto our devices very easily by simply using an Internet browser and a file manager.
This tutorial is meant for those of you running some form of Android on your streaming device, phone, or tablet.
We have provided three different methods below for side-loading apps on any Android phone or tablet.
TROYPOINT TIP: You will find more details in the video than in the screenshot guide so we suggest that you start with that first.
Prior to venturing down this path, it’s important to understand that these applications haven’t been vetted by a trusted source.
This is why we suggest always using a VPN when using these apps that haven’t been approved by a reputable organization such as Google, Amazon, etc.
A VPN will encrypt your connection to the Internet when using these various Streaming APKs.
This will prevent the app developer and your Internet Service Provider from logging what you are accessing through the application.
Unfortunately, your app data could be sold, or handed over when requested by authorities.
Refer to our detailed VPN guide for more information and device installation guides.
This free guide will teach you how to unlock your device with a few clicks.
Used by over 1 million cord cutters.
How To Install APK On Android – Video Tutorial
Below you will find both video and screenshot tutorials on how to install APK on any Android device.
We strongly urge you to watch the following video so you don’t miss some important details regarding APK Installation on Android.
Suggested Free Android File Managers/Explorers
These are all available for free download through the Google Play Store.
Note: The video tutorial above provides important details not explained in the screenshot guides below.
Install APK on Android – Screenshot Guide (Three Methods)
Below you will find three different methods for installing APKs on any Android device.
IMPORTANT: If using a Stock Android device like the X96 Max, skip to method #3 as you must first use a web browser for sideloading. See the link below for more information on Android OS.
1. Rapid App Installer
The quickest and easiest way to install APKs on Android is through our popular Rapid App Installer.
The free TROYOINT app includes over 50 of the best streaming apps including the one(s) you’re about to install on this page.
This will allow you to install the best streaming apps in tools in a matter of minutes instead of one by one.
Follow the steps below on how to use this free tool used by millions of TROYPOINT subscribers!
1. First, you will need to sign up for the Rapid App Installer if you haven’t already.
2. Once you have the Rapid App Installer on your device, launch the TROYPOINT App, and click Allow.
3. Click OK when prompted with this message.
4. On the home screen of the TROYPOINT App select Rapid App Installer.
5. Select any app you prefer within our list.
6. For this example, we used the popular Cinema APK. Click the download icon to the right.
7. Wait a few seconds for the APK file to download.
8. Next click the play icon and select Install.
9. Wait for the app to install then click Done.
10. That’s it! You have successfully side-loaded an APK using the Rapid App Installer.
Note: The Rapid App Installer contains over 50 free Streaming Apps and tools available for installation in seconds!
Warning! Protect Yourself With IPVanish VPN
Most cord-cutters use a IPVanish VPN and rightfully so.
The free streaming applications, addons, and IPTV services that you use are usually hosted on insecure servers.
Without a IPVanish, your IP Address is being logged.
Your IP Address points back to your location and identity which compromises both your privacy and security.
Your current identifying IP Address is 184.108.40.206
When you use IPVanish, your real IP address will be converted into an anonymous new one.
IPVanish VPN will provide you with an anonymous connection to the Internet.
This will prevent your Internet Service Provider, app/addon developers, government agencies, and any 3rd party from logging what you’re accessing online.
The most popular VPN among cord-cutters is IPVanish due to their blazing fast speeds and zero log policy.
It’s important to use a VPN that is fast since we are streaming large HD files. Its also crucial to find one that keeps no logs of what their subscribers access while online.
Setting up IPVanish VPN on your streaming device is simple!
Step 1 Register for an IPVanish VPN account by clicking the link below.
This exclusive link provides you with a hefty discount.
Step 2 – From the home screen hover over Find.
For those of you using Android TV devices, you can easily install the IPVanish app directly through Google Play Store.
Step 3 – Scroll down and click Search.
Step 4 – Type in “Ipvanish” and click the first option.
Step 5 – Click the IPVanish VPN app.
Step 6 – Click Download.
Step 7 – Once the IPVanish app installs, click Open.
Step 8 – Enter your IPVanish account information and click Log In.
You will get your username and password when you register for an account.
Step 9 – Click Connect.
Step 10 – Click OK.
Step 11 – Success! Your identifying IP Address has changed and you are now anonymous.
Click the Home Button on your remote and the VPN will remain running in the background.
Congratulations! You are now protected by IPVanish which means everything that you stream or access through your Firestick or Android TV Box is hidden from the rest of the world.
If you ever need to stop the VPN service, simply re-launch the application and click the DISCONNECT button.
You can now setup IPVanish VPN on all of your other Internet-connected devices. You can use IPVanish on unlimited devices!
2. Downloader App
In the example below, we are installing an alternative app store called Aptoide TV via the Downloader app.
We are using an NVIDIA Shield but this same process works on any Android TV Box running Android TV OS.
1. From the Main Menu select Google Play Store.
2. Within the search box type in “downloader” and click Search
3. Select Downloader by AFTVnews
4. Click Install
5. When Downloader installs, return back to the home screen
6. Once back on the home screen, scroll over and select the favorites icon (plus sign)
7. Click Downloader
8. Hold down the OK button on your remote and click Move.
9. Place Downloader wherever you prefer on your list of apps.
10. When first launching Downloader click Allow
11. Click OK
12. Hover over and click the search box
13. Type the following URL in exactly as it is listed here and click Go – troypoint.com/app
Important Note: this APK file is not hosted by TROYPOINT. This file is hosted at aptoide.com.
Note: The referenced link is the official URL of this app/addon. TROYPOINT does not own or operate any streaming website, service, app, or addon, and has no affiliation with any developers.
14. Wait for the file download to finish
15. If you haven’t enabled unknown sources for Downloader this screen will appear. Click Settings.
16. Select Downloader and it will now say Allowed.
17. Click the back button a few times to return back to Downloader, then click Install.
18. Click Done.
19. This will take you back to Downloader. Click Delete.
20. Click Delete Again.
21. Return to the home screen and click the favorites icon (plus sign) and select Aptoide TV.
22. That’s it! You have successfully installed an APK using the Downloader app.
3. Installing APKs on Android with any Web Browser
This process will work on any Android device, including those running Stock Android OS.
Unfortunately, the Downloader app is not available in the Google Play Store for Stock Android devices.
These same steps can also be found within our Downloader on Android TV Box tutorial.
In this example, we are using an X96 Max Android TV Box and installing an IPTV application through a web browser.
We suggest using Google Chrome or the TV Bro Browser for side-loading.
1. Go into Settings on your Android device and click the Security tab.
2. If using Android 7 and earlier, there will be one toggle for Unknown sources, turn it on. For those on Android 8 and higher, click the Unknown sources button.
3. Turn on Unknown sources for the app that you will be using to install the APK with.
4. Go back to the home screen of your Android device and launch your browser. We suggest using the Chrome browser.
5. Navigate to the page on the Internet that provides a download link for the APK that you would like to install. Click the link.
6. If you receive a storage access message, click Continue.
7. Click Allow when asked for your browser (Chrome) to access your files. This needs to be done because it needs permission to download the APK to your Android system.
8. You may see a warning “This type of file can harm your device.” Click OK.
9. If you don’t have a download link to click, you may have a shortcut that you can enter. This TROYPOINT tutorial provides both.
10. Type the shortcut into your browser’s address bar and then click the enter button on the keyboard.
11. The file will download just like it did when clicking the download link.
12. Go back to the home screen and launch your FileBrowser or File Explorer. If you don’t have one, refer to the links above under the video.
13. Go into the Download folder of your device. This is where files are downloaded automatically on Android devices.
14. You will now see both APKs that we downloaded earlier. Click one.
15. If you see the message “For your security, your phone is not allowed to install unknown apps from this source.” Click the Settings button.
16. Complete action using Install unknown apps – click Always.
17. Turn on “Allow from this source.”
18. Click the Install button.
19. Click Open.
That’s it! You have successfully installed an APK on your Android device through a web browser. We suggest also deleting the APK installation file when finished installing.
Note: If using an Android phone or tablet we recommend installing YouTube Vanced APK for ad-free YouTube!
Firestick and Fire TV users can also easily side-load APK’s such as Kodi to their streaming device:
For more popular APKs and other streaming options, check out these tutorials below.
If you are looking for the best Live TV apps and services, refer to our IPTV guide.
If you own a streaming device that runs Android OS, you now know how to install APKs on Android!
Legal Copyright Disclaimer: TROYPOINT is a tech website that publishes tutorials, news, and reviews. We do not verify if apps, services, or websites hold the proper licensing for media that they deliver. We do not own, operate, or re-sell any streaming site, service, app, or addon. Each person shall be solely responsible for media accessed and we assume that all visitors are complying with the copyright laws set forth within their jurisdiction. Users should be cautious of free streaming applications not available for install through respective app stores such as Amazon App Store and Google Play. If using unverified apps such as these, you should only be streaming or downloading content not protected by copyright such as works in the Public Domain. Referenced applications, addons, services, and streaming sites are not hosted or administered by TROYPOINT.
How To Install APK On Android FAQ
How do you Install APK on Android?
You can install APK on Android devices through a process called side-loading. This can be done on any web browser, using the Downloader App, or through our Rapid App Installer.
What Devices can you Install APKs?
You can install APKs on any device that runs the Android operating system. This includes the Amazon Firestick, Fire TV, NVIDIA Shield, Android TV Boxes, phones, tablets, and more.
Is Side-Loading APKs Safe?
Yes. Side-loading APKs on a device is safe if installed from reputable sources. We always suggest using a VPN when installing APKs.
Is Side-Loading APKs Legal?
Yes. Side-loading APKs is 100% legal. However, some content provided may be illegal. To ensure you are not illegally streaming, make sure to only watch Movies and TV Shows in the public domain.